Pages

Thursday, September 11, 2008

The journey continues.

Yesterday was my teeth extraction day at Alexandra Hospital. I was unable to sleep well the night before. Eight teeth is a lot, no matter how I think about it (note the present tense).

My sister and father went with me, and I am very grateful for their company. We were told to reach by 9:15 AM and we reached at around 8:45 AM. I think everyone was restless, even though I was the one having my teeth extracted.

A nurse gave me hospital gown to change into. The gown has an opening at the back and I was told to tie the strings behind. I couldn't see (the mirror in the toilet ends at chest level) all the strings and had to ask my sister for help.

We then followed a nurse to a place called Day Surgery. They explained how they are going to administer the anesthesia on me and my father signed the consent form for the extraction.

The room looks like those operating theaters you see on TV. Machines, a bed with green lining and people in bluish-green gowns.

The anesthesia medicine was injected via a needle inserted into my left hand. It was exactly like what people see on TV.



It was a most peculiar feeling. It felt like an overwhelming sleepiness that you cannot fight. I was told to breathe deep when an oxygen mask was put over my mouth and nose. It took only 3 deep breaths and I was knocked out.

When I woke up, there was gauze in my mouth and I could not see well. All I could see was hues of colors. I could not get up as well. I asked my father for the time, and he said it was 12:30 PM. After around one or two hours, my vision cleared and I was feeling less groggy.

My lips and throat were very dry. I could feel my lips cracking. It was probably because I drank and ate nothing since 10 PM the night before (was told to refrain from food for at least 8 hours before the extraction).

When the nurse saw that I could sit up a little, she brought me a small cup of apple juice. I drank as fast as I could, with disastrous results. Apparently, one is not supposed to drink so fast after having general anesthesia performed on him or her. I vomited a little while after drinking the apple juice.

My sister was rather alarmed when I started gagging. I feel guilty for scaring her like that, but honestly it was nothing serious. I just felt like vomiting. The nurse brought me another cup of apple juice a while later and I chose to leave it until the grogginess has completely cleared.

At around 2:15 PM, I was well enough to leave the hospital and so I changed back into my home clothes. My sister bought a bunch of things (like ice cream and cooling pads for my swelling face). She also bought me an Eeyore. I was so happy to see it when I woke up. Childish, I know, but I just wanted to have something I like to hold.

It is hard to describe how your mouth feels like after the extraction. It is not completely pain. You just feel sore - as if you pulled a muscle. It is actually quite bearable.

I was also given a bunch of medication to take at home (antibiotics, mouth gargle liquid and painkillers). Apparently I still need to brush my teeth in the morning and night, but I am really afraid to do it. My mom gave me a toothbrush meant for babies (small and soft). I tried brushing my teeth gently last night, and it was all bloody. Well, I think there might be less blood today.

And yes - the face does swell like crazy after teeth extraction. I think my face has doubled in size.

I will be going back for thread removal and bracing next Wednesday. I certainly hope everything will continue to go well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

glad to hear you survived ._. hope everything goes well!

- alex