Pages

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

I know this post should go to my other blog, but I clicked on the wrong link a second ago - and I am too lazy to go back. Well, I do think that it does not matter that much ... right?

Anyway, on with my actual post - Guide to RPGames for Starters! Great idea, huh?

*glances at your skeptical look*

Oh well, whatever. I shall go on with my guide anyway.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guide to RPGames for Starters
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are many types of RPGs (I mean, clearly). Strategy, action, adventure, simulation and such. This guide is targeted mainly at the standard types. That is, the more commonly seen RPGs like the Final Fantasy series, Star Ocean and Kingdom Hearts (if you ask me, I would probably put the Devil May Cry series in the same category as Kingdom Hearts).

This guide is not a lengthy one. In fact, mighty short. So, shall we begin?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I. Patience
- slow and steady wins the game (unless you are fighting a boss)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is correct. You heard me. Patience.

If you don't have what we humans call patience, I am rather sure you will be driven insane by RPGs. Puzzles, hidden chests containing mighty items, crazy maps and monsters with seemingly undepletable (this is not a word, but I think you get what I mean) life bars.

Most RPGs have what we call sidequests. These are quests that might unfold some events, or they are there just to keep you entertained apart from the main storyline. These also require patience. If you wish to have a taste of what sidequests are, the Final Fantasy series are definitely the type you are looking for.

Not that I am saying other RPGs do not have sidequests - just that the FF series usually have complicated sidequests that require some referencing to strategy guides to complete them.

Besides those, some RPGs have rather long cutscenes as it tries to unfold the story to you. Either you display your wonderful virtue of being patient and appreciate the story, or feel free to put a stop to your RPG-ing career.

(and oh, the patience to explore the maps thoroughly may bring you some good items at times!)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
II. Observance
- damn it, I think I missed that chest
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you whiz through the various dungeons and towns, it is important to observe. Depending on the type of the RPG you are playing, there might be certain occasions whereby you need to go back to a certain map and do something.

For example, a hidden chest that is cannot be reached at the start of the story at xxx can now be reached at Chapter 3. Do you still remember where it is, or do you even know of its existence? What if, it contains the ultimate weapon for your character?! *gasp*

And of course, there are often times whereby the game does not plainly tells you what to do and you need to observe your character's surroundings in order to know where to go next and what to do to advance to the next map/advance the story.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
III. Perseverance
- am I too weak, or is that boss too strong?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This works closely with the virtue of patience. For example, Patience to train your character, perserverance to hang on and kill the boss.

I do not think I have to explain this too much, for I do think I would be insulting your intelligence if I do so. *coughs*

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IV. Appreciation
- that was rather tough, but in a way it was fun!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a RPG, the storyline, battle system and the maps make up much of it. You need to be able to appreciate to fully enjoy a RPG.

A boss that is very tough might piss you off at the start, but it is the feeling you get after you defeat it that really counts. It is difficult to put it in words. Try it, you will certainly know what I mean.

All in all, if you know how to appreciate what is going on in the game, everything can turn out to be fun for you. Complain, and you will find the game a total nuisance (besides, if you are stucked, the internet is always there to help you).

- to be continued -
However, the guide is very much finished at this point, I guess.

No comments: