Pages

Friday, April 22, 2011

5 Mistakes.

Throughout the two semesters, I have made countless mistakes in assignments and exams that cost me serious marks (and CAP). As such, I am here to immortalize the (major) mistakes, so I can always remind myself that I really suck and should never be complacent.

Mistake #1 NOT PAYING ATTENTION TO ASSIGNMENT REQUIREMENTS

Reading Summary: 2/4 (D)

I got a passing grade for an assignment because I completely missed what the professor had asked for. He specifically asked for a summary of a particular argument in the reading, and I gave a summary of the entire reading instead. I missed the assignment requirements because I (1) didn't pay attention in class, (2) didn't read e-mails carefully and (3) was lazy and didn't bother to confirm via the IVLE.

Mistake #2 NOT READING ARTICLES PROPERLY BEFORE CITING

Film Review: C+

In an attempt to increase the credibility of the paper, I flipped through a (long and yawn-inducing) reading on a similar topic, thought I got the gist and cited it. It turned out that though I didn't get the gist of the reading, I got a C+. Excellent.

Mistake #3 NOT IMPROVING FIRST DRAFTS


Reflection Paper: 7/10 (C)


I don't know why, but there were many times I was very full of myself (when I really don't have any reason to). I wrote this paper in under an hour and simply submitted it as such. I did not bother to check or improve it. In the end, I got a C-range grade because the paper was deemed to be too shallow. This is what happens when you don't put in enough effort - it shows in your paper, and the grade.

Mistake #4 NOT PLANNING PAPERS PROPERLY


Response Paper: C+


This mistake includes a bit of Mistake #1. I didn't put in enough thought into what the assignment was asking for and simply wrote the paper. The other issue was that I didn't do a proper outline, mental or written, before I did the paper and the paper thus had poor structure. C+ for you, lazy shit.

Mistake #5 NOT REVISING THOROUGHLY FOR EXAMS


Mid-Terms: 18/35 (D)


It is imperative that this is stated clearly - glancing through the lecture notes does not count as revision. If it is, I wouldn't have scored 18 out of 35 for an exam that carries a 35% weight in the overall grade. It is worth mentioning that this is not the only time it has happened, but this particular case is the most spectacular out of the various cases.

It is clear that the mistakes converge into one, single mistake - not enough effort. Anyway, I deserve each of these grades, and I will most definitely lose my FCH CAP this semester. Continue being lazy, future me, and you will be on a one-way ride to academic doom.

No comments: