I just watched Resident Evil : Degeneration last night, and story writers at Capcom have proved themselves yet again to be utterly incapable of a good story.
RE:D, in case anyone is wondering, is an official Resident Evil movie by Capcom. It is a CG movie. And screw the RE movies you probably have watched in the cinemas.
Since we are at it, allow me to sidetrack and rant a little about the Hollywood RE movies.
I seriously have no idea why the movies bear the name RE. They merely borrowed the idea of Nemesis, the virus and some other significant terms and slapped the name RE on the movies. The movies are nothing like the game - not even remotely close.
You do not, pardon me, fucking name movies after a series just because you borrowed a few terms. Not only the movies were poorly written (and terribly executed), they were filled with so many scenes of characters acting stylish that the storyline was nowhere to be found.
Anyone who thought the RE movies were good probably -
1) Never played the actual game before
2) Morons who only know how to look at effects and not know what is exactly a good movie that has a good storyline adequately executed
In conclusion, the RE movies are bad - seriously bad. Watching grass grow is probably a better use of time, I assure you.
Now back to Capcom and their story writers.
In my own terms -
Story writing is the gist of the story. The female lead, her background and story. The male lead, his background and story.
Story execution is the finer details of the story. The dialogues. How they speak. How they met.
I realized that Capcom fails at writing love stories (and actually the entire story sometimes if you ask me). The first time I noticed this was Star Ocean 2 (you know, the one with Claude and Rena). I was probably only 13 then, and at that time I went "Ewwwwww" at the game's cheesy love storyline.
That was, what, 6 years back?
And they have not improved a single bit.
This actually applies to a lot of game studios out there, but since Capcom annoyed me that much to make me write this entry, the title shall bear their name.
Can please somebody tell me why do so many story writers have to introduce a female lead, give her a sob story and then make the male lead fall in love with her? And why the hell are underwater (or above water - as long as there is water) kissing scenes so popular?
Capcom simply fails at writing and executing love stories. They are all too cheesy. They have not put a single effort in bringing out the emotions behind the love. Sure, I know the both of them are in love but their story did not move me a single bit.
If you want examples of love stories nicely written and correctly executed, I suggest you play the games Shadow Hearts (and Shadow Hearts : Covenant) or Final Fantasy 10 (I still disapprove of the water-related kissing scene). Although the love stories in these games are very much alike to those of Capcom (female leads with sob story and whatnot), they at least succeed at execution. At least for me, that is.
I am too lazy to write anymore. I could go on and on about the quality of writing and execution in games. I think I over analyze sometimes, but I firmly believe that a good story must be understood and felt by the heart. If I do not feel any sort of waver in emotions when I play the game (or watch the movie), the story has failed.
Improve story writing and execution, Capcom, and stop introducing new female characters every single time. What is wrong with keeping Jill and Claire for RE? And whatever happened to Trish in DMC? Do you people over there love designing female characters (read : horny) or something?
Note : A game's high rating does not always mean that the game has a superb story. It might be because it has excellent game play, or something else that made the game work.
1 comment:
now, see, that's why they're game designers, not novelists. as for Hollywood.. well, i can't comment on that. i guess you could just blame it on trying to adapt a storyline. i mean, have you seen the new Dragon Ball movie? urgh.
- alex
Post a Comment