Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The decision.

The three options are namely Computer Graphics and Visual Effects, Interactive Applications (Flash and such) and 3D Animation. After nearly six days of serious pondering and self-reflection I have decided on my major, and I think it really is a great surprise to all that know me.

I chose IA - Interactive Applications.

It is a surprise to myself as well. I always thought that my ultimate dream of my life is to join a game production crew and be a part of the team that creates games that I like playing so much. I held the dream high when I entered this course and I was so proud of my 3D assignments. It is a fact that 3D modeling fascinates me. It still does. Breath-taking fantasy universes and realistic city scenes impress me and I WANT to be able to do such things.

But will I able to do it as a job? And do it well?

I weighed my strengths and interests. It was mainly between IA and 3D Animation. I have stronger foundation in IA due to the fact that I taught myself web publishing and coding back in secondary school, and I am fairly interested in coding web programs and designing interactive media content. My 3D foundation is not as strong, and I like gaming and the world of 3D. It was such a tough decision because I am alright with both - skills-wise and interest-wise.

So I took myself into consideration - my personality.

And I realize that I am will actually like IA better as a job than as a 3D animator. Doing 3D is extremely time and energy consuming. Perhaps it is because I am still green, but I am sure that even if one is an expert 3D modeling and animation is labor-intensive work. People working in the 3D field often work overtime and late into nights. I thought I was fine with that when I first wanted to pursue my dream as part of a game production crew, but after consideration I am actually far from being fine with such a rigorous job.

I can imagine myself doing jaw-dropping 3D graphics and enjoying it at the same time, but only when it is at my own pace. Doing it as a job would mean that I need to rush out, what, maybe ten models a month? I can almost already feel the fun vaporize upon such a thought. It would mean extreme levels of stress for me.

3D will stay as a hobby. I will continue honing my skills and show off occasional works at deviantArt after I get good enough at it. IA is about design and programming/coding (Flash, illustrations, Java games and etc), and I could also show them off at deviantArt.

Of course I might change my mind. I am fickle-minded.

I feel like as if I turned my back on my dream. The feeling certainly sucks.

No comments: