Shadow Hearts is an excellent RPG series which I will highly recommend to anyone who likes playing RPGs. It packs as much (or even more), but only get less than half of the hype the Final Fantasy series gets.
I tried introducing the series to people who play PS2 in school and as expected, they asked me 'what the hell' Shadow Hearts is. I explained with great difficulty, for Shadow Hearts has unique features that only comes with the series. Eventually, I am forced to use analogies to drive my case across.
Hence, I decided to make use of Final Fantasy and some other RPGs (Chrono Cross, Arc the Lad and such). After much time, I completed my sales pitch and looked at them.
"Chey (a Singapore slang for saying 'big deal'). It is just another RPG series which copied ideas off Final Fantasy."
... And what I merely menionted was that the Shadow Hearts (with the exception of Shadow Hearts 1) series has similar graphics as Final Fantasy.
This greatly pains me. These people should not even be allowed to purchase gaming consoles. They have failed to understand that all RPGs are similar in *certain aspects because they are of the same genre.
Turn-based? Check.
Random battles? Check.
Sidequests? Check.
Sub-plots? Check.
I could not comprehend their idiocy. Is it because they have yet to see the game in action? Or is it because they are just mindless followers of trends? Are they 'elitists' of the Final Fantasy series?
Square-Enix produces quality games. The Final Fantasy series is excellent. The series is permanently stuck on the my list of top RPGs, but even so I see no reason why I should relate good and rising RPG series' success to Final Fantasy.
Furthermore, I do not see why these people have to put down these RPG series just because reviewers and plenty of players around the world agreed that these series are on par (or will soon be) with the Final Fantasy series.
Could it possible be, perhaps, an attempt to keep the Final Fantasy series in power of the RPG market?
I am sorry, but it is about time Final Fantasy shares its throne.
*For those who are picking a bone to fight in terms of accuracy, I am referring to fantasy RPGs in general. I am not talking about action RPGs like the Devil May Cry series or the Resident Evil series.
No comments:
Post a Comment