Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2005

Singapore's teenage magazines are disgusting. I wonder why girls (or probably boys) read them.

For example, Teens, which I am sure some of you have heard about is sugar-packed, has a horrible advice column and the music section in there is totally off.

Mainly because they are too busy licking the celebrities' asses to grade the albums properly.

You see, they can grade Gwen Stefani's new album Love, Angel, Music, Baby three stars out of five and write this as a review (copied word for word, March 2005) :

"Perhaps the longest overdue solo album. We've been hearing Gwen fronting No Doubt for a decade now, so the music world almost dictates that this release is only natural. The first thing you notice about this album is the number of different, high profile directors engaged to work on it.

The Neptunes throw in the best tune of the album "Hollaback Girl", where Gwen attempts - and pretty well, we say - to rap! Andre3000 produces and co-performs "Long Way To Go", which has Outkast written all over it!

The single which had everyone talking "What You Waiting for?" is great, but unfortunately had a couple of duplicates on the CD, including "Danger Zone". A touch of pop, hip-hop, retro and electronica, what else could you ask for?
"

Okay. Doesn't that sound like a four or five star review? 2 stars off for the duplicates?

And may I add that three stars are the lowest I have seen on their magazine so far.

This review simply reflects how carelessly the album was graded and sugarcoated to the extreme.

But as I was saying just now, it is a teenage magazine. They have to write to suit their audience, am I right? So this is telling me something.

Most teenagers in Singapore are seriously corrupted. It is only natural that such a magazine would exist since such an audience exists.

I pity Singapore.

Anyway for the last line of the review "..., what else could you ask for?", I would like to say that ...

I would very much ask for a better cover for the album. It looks horrible.

No comments: