Surprisingly, I made it to the last round of Y-VISP. Out of around 16 interviewees from the entire NUS in the last round, 8 have been chosen to proceed to the final round of interview - this time with Yale. There are 8 places, so essentially we are not competing with one another anymore. It is more of Yale deciding if we are indeed suitable for the program, since we will be taking up space in their residential colleges and whatnot.
Apparently, it is not in Yale's tradition to have international students over for exchange. I'm not even sure if it can be called to be an exchange, because no students from Yale are coming over to NUS. The program is in its second year and students selected for this program are supposed to the cream of the crop of their respective universities. In fact, Yale partners with only two universities in the whole world for this program. I'm pretty sure I'm crap as compared to the others (considering that many overachievers in NUS didn't even apply), but I guess I can hold my own ground.
I really have no idea how I made it this far. I was sure I messed up the last interview. I spoke rashly and strongly on several topics. I also couldn't furnish answers to several questions and actually replied sheepishly with a, "I'm sorry. I have never thought about that."
Then again, perhaps the interviewers appreciated my strong ideals and honesty. I am guessing that a number went in with the same ol' rehearsed politically correct answers that must have bored them to tears.
At any rate, it really sucks to be eliminated at the last round. I really hope that that wouldn't happen to me. I will do my best. GO GO GO!
No comments:
Post a Comment