Pages

Friday, July 24, 2009

I am not obliged to do it.

For those who actually visit STOMP (the nonsensical news site), I am certain that you have read posts about commuters not giving up seats to "those that need it more (TTNIM)".

Not trying to praise myself here, but I always give up my seat (if I actually have one, since I stand most of the time) to TTNIM. Yes, always.

However, I believe that no one is obliged to give up their seat to TTNIM and if someone does, it is simply out of goodwill. It might be wrong by social standards to not give up your seat, but certainly not wrong per se. No one should expect someone to give up their seat to him or her, because everyone has paid the same fare and therefore has equal rights to the seats available.

I was taking a bus home today, and I managed to get myself a seat at the back (the row ones, not the two by twos). With the notebook and all, I was certainly glad to be able to sit.

Halfway through the journey, a pregnant lady boarded the bus with her husband and a toddler.

I did not notice her at first because I was trying to find a song in my iPod. When I found it and I looked up, I saw her staring at me. Seeing that there was no seats left, I gave up my seat to her.

Our eyes met when I stood up, and she actually rolled her eyes.

Then thinking that I could not hear because I was listening to my iPod, she said "finally" to her husband.

There was no word of thanks. No smile.

I am not going to hide it. I am pissed off. And very pissed off.

Pregnant ladies always act like as if they are entitled to a seat on public transport, or at least the ones I have met. I have encountered quite a number of them. They stand in front of those that are sitting and stare at them. If staring fails to work, they start glaring.

Here is something for these ladies - No one is obliged to give you a seat.

Read it, process it and SUCK IT UP.

Oh, so you are pregnant? That is your problem. Standing makes you tired? That is your problem. No one is giving up their seat for you? That is still your problem.

If you must sit, take a cab. If not, acknowledge the fact you might be not get a seat on public transport. If you want a seat, ask and not just glare at people. Being pregnant does not mean you can be rude.

If I ever meet another rude pregnant lady while taking the bus or train, I will cease giving up seats to pregnant ladies permanently. Go sue me.

No comments: