Pages

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

New member of the gadget family.

Indeed, there is a new addition to my gadget family - the iPod Video 5.5G 80GB.



Apple revised the 5G iPod Videos around a year back and came out with a newer version known as the Late 2006 models. These new models have brighter screens, longer battery lives, a search function and more. These models are also known as 5.5G, and that is the generation my iPod belongs to.

I bought it on 5th August at IMM. I (or rather, my mom) paid SGD$609 for the iPod and I also bought a wall charger for my sister who inherited the Nano. iPods cannot be left unused for too long as it kills the battery, and the last thing I want is for my Nano's to die so soon. It is, after all, pretty expensive and is my first iPod.



The packing is the same as Nano's. Documents, headphones, Apple stickers, iPod sleeve, dock head. And the USB cable which I forgot to include in the assemble when I took the photo.



The box is almost identical to Nano's, except that it is a little thicker and has different box art (I mean, duh).




It is a relatively heavier and bulkier as compared to the Nano and I am still trying to get used to the change. I am so used to my Nano that the Video actually feels weird when I use it.

I first used the iPod without any sort of casing except for the sleeve included in the box for a few days. I know it sounds crazy to not get some sort of protection for something this expensive, but the cases sold at the place I got the iPod look terrible (I did not get it at the Apple Centre this time).

I made a trip to Wheelock Place with my sister after a week to get a proper casing, and I got the iSkin Evo3. It was around $47.



It has good ratings at iLounge and good reviews everywhere I looked. I thought it was a good case to get, but apparently it is unsuitable for a dust freak like me. The black silicone (or whatever material they used) attracts dust like a magnet. The dust that accumulates on the casing is so shocking that my sister thought I dropped it behind the cupboard or something.

To counter this irritating problem, I always have a damp cloth on standby to wipe the dust away. I need to do this everyday because dust is everywhere and against the color black it is especially obvious.

An absolute pain in the ass, I assure you.

But the dust aside, the case is pretty good in protecting the iPod. It covers every inch of the iPod and feels sturdy. I am actually very pleased with the protection it offers, but the dust problem really annoys me.

Just me, I suppose.

More pictures of the new iPod.






I might have an entry soon with pictures of the iSkin covered with dust. It really is hard to tell in words how bad it gets when it happens. Pictures would help, definitely.

I love you, mom and dad, for buying me this. I know that I am being such a brat for always requesting you to buy me such things. I am sorry for my behavior. I will find a job soon so that you can stop giving me allowance and use the money for yourself. I love you guys.

No comments: